What is the best basic bank account??

20 posts Page 1 of 2

vikivk

Post by vikivk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 am
Hi all,

My partner is looking for a basic bank account and we are wondering the best one. Unlike people who have gone bankrupt or had an IVA he unfortunatly got scared with his debts about 6 years ago and ran away from them so has never really repaid any of them apart from one (I think). He hasn't had an account since that time either and now is starting feel like he needs one. We don't mind paying a monthly fee if it means he accepted. Obviously the more you get turned down the worse it's going to look on credit scoring so we would like to find one that will definitly accept him.

We would be very grateful for any help.
Things can only get better...

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:19 am
Hi vikivk and welcome to the forum

It is not my particular area of expertise, but most people on the site recommend the Cashminder account provide by the Co-op Bank. Your partner will need to make sure that he has no debt with this bank before applying for an account.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:12 am
I can only echo Melanies sentiments, the Co-Op Cashminder is a fabulous basic account. You can call them on 08457 212 212, press the hash key and go through an application over the phone.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

vikivk

Post by vikivk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:49 pm
thanks, that's who I'm with at the moment but didn't know if anyone else was better. Will try that.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:52 pm
Hi
If you have no luck with the Co-op then try 'Think Banking',he will be accepted but there is a £12.50 monthly fee and £25 set up fee.You will be accepted
Regards
Andam Davies

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:26 pm
I think the co op are great and although I have no local branch you can always use the post office to pay anything in or withdraw[:)]
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

vikivk

Post by vikivk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:00 am
I didn't realise you can withdrawl money from Post Office with a Cashminder account. Do you know the limit and how you do it?? I've paid in cheques but that's it. I thought I had to go up to my nearest branch which is 60 miles away!!

You've all been very helpful.

Thanks

lily

Post by lily » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:18 am
I didnt know that either, nor pay money in at the post office.

I am very pleased with the cashminder account, I opened a savings account with them also. I am lucky to have a branch in my little town, they were very nice to me when I opened the account, I went in person. I was honest about everything and they didnt judge or make me feel bad. They even offered me a cup of tea. The debit card is very useful, online, telephone banking is great too.
lily

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am
I'm with the co-op and I have made use of the post office for all the deposit since christmas, we live just 5 mins away from a post office as opposed to 20mins from local branch. I think the limit will be the same as an ATM so it'll be £250 a day. Cheques take a while but when they appear in your online statement they are clear so it's good for giving accurate available balances. Cash is instant and it's as easy as putting your card in the machine and handing over the cash. 10/10 for this facility alone.
It's nice to be back......

vikivk

Post by vikivk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:26 pm
I think co-op is great too but when I tried opening a savings account with them they wouldn't allow it because of my credit!! They knew I went bankrupt 2 and a half years ago which is when I opened the cashminder account with them and can see that ever since then I have had a minimum amount stay in for a while now but they wouldn't let me save my money with them. Thats the only problem I have had.

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:55 pm
There was another post about savings accounts and I remember someone saying they had opened a savings acc with co-op. Another one mentioned was yorkshire bank.
It's nice to be back......

vikivk

Post by vikivk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:13 am
Just to let you all know that my jammy partner has managed to open a proper Barclays account with Cheque Book and everything. They have even said they will review his account in 3 months and may even allow an overdraft and loans!!! Although I am happy for him it's annoyed me a bit. To me it's basically said run away from your debts and we'll take ya, be honest and we say no!! Nevermind. Only 4 years til my BR is off my credit :)

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:10 am
I have a Nat West Step account, and its been fantastic. I have a solo debit card, and online banking facilities x

rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:51 pm
we are with cashminder, also have coop smart savings account. can use their facilities at the post office which saves petrol money going into town. also had a phonecall from them last night making me aware of their members dividend payouts.

vikivk

Post by vikivk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:27 pm
How are you people with cashminder accounts getting these savings accounts?? They wouldn't allow me because they had to do a credit check even though they know I have been bankrupt since oct 05. I did try online though so maybe I should have gone into the branch but thats over 60 miles away!!
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “bank accounts and credit cards”