What is the best way to check my credit rating?

10 posts Page 1 of 1

aml

Post by aml » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:03 pm
What is the best way to check my credit rating? I have heard that the rating can be affected by simply checking it? Can I check it without this happening? Would you recommend a web site I can use? Thanks

iva experts

Post by iva experts » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:13 pm
Hi aml and Welcome,

You can go online to gain your credit report for free, I've heard that the best two companies are experian and equifax. Your credit rating will not be affected if you check it yourself.

Best Regards. IVA Experts
Best Regards,
Michelle Pontes
IVA Experts
http://www.iva-experts.co.uk/

Keepingmyheadabovewater

Post by Keepingmyheadabovewater » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:25 pm
to pay £2.50 for a credit check at experian there number is
0870 241 6212 or go to
www.experian.co.uk
JOHN

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:30 pm
The credit score these companies use is an indicative score - there is actually no such thing as your credit rating / score.

When a lender recieves your application they request the credit file electronically from the credit reference agencies Experian / Equifax / Callcredit your application is processed by a credit scoring application.

Credit checks that are run by you to check your credit report do not effect your credit profile.

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:35 pm
Your own searches will not affect any score given. In fact scoring is done by the organisation and is independent of the CRA check.

Scoring criteria is usually kept secret by the lenders and you score points based on what you put down on the application. e.g. some lenders think that someone Married is more credit worthy than if they were single, and you would score more points. The points are then added up and if you reach their cut off point your ok, otherwise they decline you.

What they will probably do is look at the number of searches made, if there is a lot from different credit companies that might ring alarm bells in this credit crunch we are in now if you apply for new credit.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

robert25

Post by robert25 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:24 am
If you want to be cheeky you can go online with experian (perhaps the others too) and get a 30 day free trial of their online system. Register,provide your debit card details, check your file then before the 30 days cancel your subscription ;)
I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 am
With Experian you can pay extra (it was £4.99) to look at your credit score and they will tell you how likely you are to get credit.

The 30 day trial is good, but if you've already been a member (like I have), you won't be able to do another free trial.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:19 am
robert25 wrote:

If you want to be cheeky you can go online with experian (perhaps the others too) and get a 30 day free trial of their online system. Register,provide your debit card details, check your file then before the 30 days cancel your subscription ;)
Really its the simplest way according to me. Well there are many other options also present but i would always prefer online system.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 am
There is one called Annual Credit Check, and that is totally free.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

PeterRadcliffe

Post by PeterRadcliffe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:10 am
Visit a free credit scoring website. Numerous websites offer free credit scores; just pay attention to the terms before you sign up. Some free sites offer educational scores that aim to give you an understanding of how you're doing credit-wise
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “credit”