what the xxx?? Help!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
72 posts Page 3 of 5

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 am
...and to be fair I don't think he was the one that originally shortened it.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

paulaj8824

Post by paulaj8824 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:32 pm
I started my iva with PayPlan in august 2010 and received my completion cert 29th September 2015. Insolvency register have this noted and all the credit reference agencies. I didn't experience any problems with payplan but then again I didn't have any major issues or obstacles throughout my iva. The only complaint I would have with them is that they would take about 2 weeks to reply to you and kept changing my case officer. This could be purely down to staff leaving and staff shortages though. I did also feel payplan very much worked on behalf of the creditors.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm
Do agree that the case officers change often but we did have one who lasted for a long time during our last year.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:29 pm
Hi

Why can some IPs close IVAs and others such as Payplan can't because of an outstanding court case ?

IPs needs one regulator [not the current eight different ones] and a clear line on closures

Regards
Andam Davies

Robbyuk12

Post by Robbyuk12 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:48 pm
Just received the same response myself ! Started iva sept 10

Made my final payment sept 15

Just received the same green v Wright email !

I'm not interested in ppi and I'd be willing to vary the terms so they can resolve claims after completion !

Payplan gone mad ?
They were good at start ! Now it's at the end they have you jumping through hoops ! What's best way to complain ? Think it's unacceptable!

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:54 pm
100% agree with Andy, I hope you consider taking Michael's excellent advice and if you did, maybe you could update us with their response.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:00 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Andy Davie

Hi

Why can some IPs close IVAs and others such as Payplan can't because of an outstanding court case ?

IPs needs one regulator [not the current eight different ones] and a clear line on closures

Regards
They should be overseen by the Insolvency Service itself and work to one set of protocols with better, less open to interpretation, wording.

Yes, there will be winners and losers but at least everyone will know where they stand from the start and choose their routes accordingly.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

paulaj8824

Post by paulaj8824 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:27 pm
As mentioned previously my iva was with payplan and I received my cc 29th september. There was something in the cc about ppi but I didn't take much notice of it. It read along the lines that my creditors would be entitled to any claim, but this hasn't stopped my iva completing. I know I never took out any ppi anyway.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:01 pm
In case some of you are not aware James Green is one of our IPs so it is us who are fighting the case versus Wright. We are still able to close cases so I find it odd that others cannot.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:01 pm
Almost suggests something else is going on.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 pm
Off topic, so I apologise,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for disclosing this, this now tied up with what you said in another post a while ago that the feeling was this would be overturned, that said I guess your legal advisors thought that about the initial case and the appeal that was lost ;)

Can't it simply be overcome by the initial IVA terms signd by both parties that any PPI that is due up to the date of IVA completion is deemed an asset of the IVA ? And any due post that day plus interest belongs to the individual ?

Have McCambridge Duffy modified their terms of any new IVA issued post green and wright to try and cater for this ? And for example the completion certificate reading that all liabilities of the individual are now complete with the exception of any future PPI settlements due up to the date of this completion certificate will belong to the estate bla bla bla, but written in a much more confusing (legal) way ? (Then it couldn't be argued the standard
Completion certificate trumps the deed of assignment).

I guess There is only every one winner in legal battles....the solicitors/lawyers
Last edited by longslog101 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:01 pm
I think certain forms work on the basis that the intent is not to keep clients in the iva and that a decision has to be made that is not risk adverse.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:04 pm
Longslog, the PPI is most often dealt with by way of a Deed of Assignment, which makes the Green v. Wright case immaterial if duly completed, as would any specific agreement regarding PPI in the original agreement. This is why Grant Thornton (as they were) went on a panic spree to persuade former clients to complete Deeds before any judgement is made.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Foggy

Longslog, the PPI is most often dealt with by way of a Deed of Assignment, which makes the Green v. Wright case immaterial if duly completed, as would any specific agreement regarding PPI in the original agreement. This is why Grant Thornton (as they were) went on a panic spree to persuade former clients to complete Deeds before any judgement is made.
Hi foggy, thanks, yes I recognise this, but having not seen a deed of assignment, if a person signs this in the 12th feb for example and then gets a completion certificate on the 12th March saying they have met all obligations and doesn't specifically mention deed of assignment could one legally argue all obligations satisfied (included the deed of assignment as it was an obligations), I just wonder if the two reference ip each other in any way ?

I will go and read the transcript again...curiosity etc
Last edited by longslog101 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:08 am
In the Wright case there was no deed of assignment but under R3 terms and conditions any asset not specifically excluded is de facto included. This is based on case law and is different to protocol T&Cs which are 'defined asset' agreements.

In addition there is a 'trust' which continues after an IVA has completed unless the 'trust' is severed which is normally only the case when an IVA fails or a debtor is subsequently made bankrupt. Therefore the PPI is an asset under the IVA and captured under the 'trust'

As Supervisor James has an obligation to creditors and the easy thing would be to pay out but we have fought this case as we believe we are right. The Appeal Court has stayed the order as the judge believes that the case has validity but regardless of the outcome it will probably cost us money as a firm.

I hope this makes sense but at the end of the day it is now in the lap of the judges.

As an aside, given what I have said can anyone see how this case can stop Payplan from closing cases especially if they use protocol T&Cs? I cannot but then I am only a minor cog in the insolvency wheel.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
72 posts Page 3 of 5
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”