What would be the outcome if I was left more money than my IVA debt ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Derek.j

Post by Derek.j » Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm
I may have been left some money in a will, as I am two years into my IVA and if the amount of money that I inherit is substantially greater than my curent arrangment, what would the outcome be.

Nutkins

Post by Nutkins » Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 pm
Hi! The inheritance will be deemed as a windfall and need to be paid into the iva! The debt you will need to pay is your total debt which was accumulated prior to the iva and not the amount agreed through the arrangement! Also you will be required to pay the fees plus a possibility of statutory interest at 8% of the debt!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon May 19, 2014 5:55 am
Statutory interest is not always payable so best to check your paperwork and with your IP. As Nutkins says you will pay 100% of original debt plus IP fees ..... After this any left is yours
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kravarran

Post by kravarran » Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 am
Even if the 8% rule means that there's nothing left for yourself, just be happy that the IVA will be concluded and you'll be in financial freedom.

It's always nice to get a windfall, even when it comes from bad circumstances, but being debt free is the real bonus.
The hardest part is telling a stranger about your problems ...... it's also the most important!

Completion Certificate Received! :D

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 23, 2014 10:46 am
Some ( not all) IP's will put forward a variation to get the 8% interest clause removed. and many have succeeded.

I always look at it that the person who left you the money has gifted you a fresh start.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am
If the amount is greater than you are due to pay but not greater than your overall debt the money will paid into the arrangement and your IVA continue on as normal. If you need some of the money to change your vehicle or carry out essential home repairs creditors may allow you to retain some but a variation will be required.

You need to inform your IP as soon as you are aware of the winfall even if you have not yet received the money.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”