What would normally show up on your credit file if you are in an IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

worriedhalftodeath

Post by worriedhalftodeath » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
What would normally show up on your credit file if you are in an IVA? My husband is in year 3 of his IVA and got a new job a few weeks back. He's completed all the references and other required paperwork but was told yesterday that the job offer had been recinded. Part of the process the company was undertaking included a credit report and he had to answer questions such as was he bankrupt (no) did he have any CCJs against him (no). He did tell the woman who employed him that he would not pass a credit check but she told him this wouldn't be an issue as long as wasn't bankrupt and didn't have a CCJ so he didn't go so far as to tell her he had an IVA as that wasn't one of the questions asked. The job is Credit Controller (and no the irony of what he does isn't lost on us) but is not handling cash - even if it were, having an IVA is not meant to be a stain on your character and mean that you're likely to have your hands in the till whenever you get a chance. But, I'm wondering if there may be something on his credit file that we're not aware of. Before getting the IVA he had not missed any payments or had any of those threatening letters - he was just using credit to make monthly payments and had been hit with a couple of late payment fees so was deep in that vicious debt spiral. Could he have some sort of CCJ without knowing it? Might a creditor have started the process in the couple of months or so the IVA was being worked through? Any advice? He's totally thrown by the loss of the job offer - had even given in his notice as the new company had told him his references had come back with glowing colours and this was the first glimpse of light at the end of the working tunnell since he was made redundant a few years back, was unemployed for a while and then had to take a job with a £15k pay drop and hence the cycle of debt began... Today he feels like a failure and a criminal and is ready to give up.

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:55 pm
IVA will show in a separate public information section - it may be the company have lumped IVA /Bankruptcy together - hence the job has been withdrawn.

You can of course check the credit report (stat report £2) this would should defaults etc. But it is highly unlikely that a CCj would be placed without you knowing about it

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:06 pm
As Ginger says, you can get copies of your credit reports online at £2 a pop, to see what they say.

My first port of call would be a friendly telephone conversation with the company for a specific reason for withdrawal of the offer. It might have nothing to do with your husband --- with all thses cuts going on they might have simply decided not to fill the post.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:14 pm
I would ask for specifics from the company offering the job,as they often include IVA's with bankruptcy,and you may have grounds for an appeal.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

worriedhalftodeath

Post by worriedhalftodeath » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:03 pm
Thanks for your responses. Here's a related question - when you have an IVA is that a court judgement? We thought no, but the form my husband completed when he was offered the job asked if a court or bankruptcy order had ever been awarded against him. He answered no. They were going to do a credit check so he did say that he wouldn't pass a credit check and was prepared to disclose that he had an IVA but the employer said as long as you're not bankrupt and you haven't lied about it, that's fine... so he said no more... It's not as if he was applying for a loan afterall... I thought an IVA was an agreement between an individual and his/her creditors - not a court judgement.. We've certainly got no official court papers - just paperwork from the IP company acting on his behalf... Hubby is going to speakto the HR dept tomorrow but all we can think of is that an IVA is a court judgement and therefore it will look like he's lied on the form hence the job offer being withdrawn. There was no problem with his references at all... He had to give 4 and all 4 referees have been in touch with him since to say that they completed the forms and said he was great... It can't be anything else.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:21 pm
Hi. IVA's used to go through the courts, but don't any longer, as far as I am aware. In any event, I wouldn't call it a Court Judgement, it's more a contract ratified under government legislation.

However, before your husband, possibly, shoots himself in the foot it would be best to wait until an expert comes along and gives a professional insight.

That all said, some companies might (MIGHT) view an IVA as the same as BR, through ignorance of insolvency practice. If they do a credit check they will find out about it, so, on reflection, it might be better for your husband to bring it up first. But still wait for an an IP to respond so that he knows what to say.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

KAYKAY

Post by KAYKAY » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:34 pm
I onced asked is an IVA a CCJ and was told no. It does however appear on a credit report under the heading of "Public Record Information" on Experian Credit Files and "Court Information" on Equifax Credit Files.
IVA Completed August 2011

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm
it's not a CCJ and it doesn't go through the courts anymore.

Some companies do count IVA and BR as the same although they are not and this should be pointed out to the company involved.

It will all depend upon the employment criteria of the firm - it may be that any form of insolvency is a no-no.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

worriedhalftodeath

Post by worriedhalftodeath » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm
But they didn't say anything about insolvency.... When he saw that they would do a credit check, he said that he wouldn't pass that and was about to tell all about the IVA. She said not to worry, as long as he wasn't bankrupt and hadn't murdered any of his previous managers, that wouldn't matter. If insolvency is an issue within the company, you'd think him saying that he wouldn't pass the credit check would be enough to raise alarm bells so she'd ask wouldn't you? He was concerend at that point about giving in his notice which is why they had this conversation after he'd been given the provisional offer... If she's told him, then he would have waited and not given in his notice. We knew all his references would come back fine and no health issues etc.... Just seems like such awful bad luck... and could have serious repercussions if he's now out of work.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 pm
Julie is our HR guru on here - if you wish to contact her off forum (either of you) then let me know and I can arrange it.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”