Who would you Recommend ?

24 posts Page 2 of 2

Holly_madi

Post by Holly_madi » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:17 pm
Thank you Johnpaul, i will look into a DMP and research more on SIVA. Is there an exact date of when they come out? And does the same rules apply regarding the voting system? I have heard people have had problems with certain creditors voting against their IVA and it ends up being rejected.

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:25 pm
hi holly i think it will be 2008 but if it was me i would first take it to a dmp company i deal with gregory pennington there are fantasic there web site is
www.gregorypennington.co.uk
been with them for 8 months and they have a sister company called freemanjones who do ivas and i am sure they will do sivas but once gp take over creditors will call you phone up up at work and say they will take legal action against you but they wont carry it out if a dmp company is dealing with it on your behalf if you stay on there to long they will serve you with a default notice and then sell the debt on and they you pay the agreed amount of in full on the dmp but one more thing holly while on a dmp you will have to cut up all credit cards and take no more credit out as if you are on a dmp they will reject the offers made to them and could then take legal action and file for you to be bankrupt

JOHNPAUL
JOHNPAUL

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:30 pm
you will need to fill out some forms holly abot who you owe money to and what income you are on incomings and outgoings and can i ask are your bank a creditor if they are holly they will do a direct debit and take what money you have going into your account eg wages you will need a brand new bankaccount go to
www.natwest.com
they do good basic accounts

JOHNPAUL
JOHNPAUL

maxdebt

Post by maxdebt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 pm
Hi Holly. Be sure to ask about upfront fees. A good IP will not ask for upfront fees but will ask for your first IVA payment, refunded if the IVA proposal in rejected. Go here: http://www.iva.com/iva_comparison_1.asp and read the very excellent reviews. Once you have done that I suggest you chose Melanie Giles, an independent very experienced IP. You may be able to find someone as competent as Melanie but I doubt you will find anyone better
My thanks to Melanie and her team :)

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 pm
The Co-op also do a very good basic bank account that gives you a debit card, internet banking and direct debits and standing orders. Be wary about Natwest - they don't differentiate between an IVA and BR so you would need to apply before hand. The Co-op will open an account once you are in an IVA or BR.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Cybus

Post by Cybus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm
Your first port of call would probably be http://www.iva.com/as has been suggested earlier in this thread.

I agree also that you should not necessarily avoid, but think very carefully before dealing with anyone who asks you for funds up front. If asked for funds up front you should clarify first of all whether you are entitled to a refund of that money in the event that your arrangement is rejected.

I don't believe Simple IVA's are going to be rolling out anytime soon, IP's, Their regulatory bodies and BBA have a lot to iron out with the Insolvency Service and our friends in the Government.

Debt Management should only really be viewed as a temporary measure whilst you sort out your finances and is not really something to consider as a long term option.

I can picture the Debt Management spiel (What you may not know is that Debt Management is very sales orientated at the moment)and I suspect it would be most encouraging to hear a voice on the other end of the phone confidently telling you that the the Debt Management Company can freeze interest and charges on your accounts for you. The reality is it is very unlikely that all your creditors will agree to freeze interest and charges for an indefinite period. I suspect that yes they will agree to freeze interest and charges for an initial six month period.

Depending on where you set up your Debt Management plan could well determine how little or how much your creditors will be repaid during that first six months.

I'll give you 2 examples based upon you being able to afford £200 per month.

Example 1. You find A DMP provider who will take your £200 each month and, because they are funded by an external source, they can pay all of that £200 per month to your creditors. After 6 months your crediors will have received £1,200. 100% of what you have paid to the DMP provider.

Example 2. You find a DMP provider who will take your £200 per month. The 1 st month's payment goes to them as a 'Set up' fee. They charge 15% as a 'Management' charge of every monthly payment you make thereafter, so of your £200 that you paid in to them, they take a 'Management Fee' of £30 and give £170 to your creditors. So after 6 months you have paid £1,200. The DMP provider has taken £350 in fees and your creditors have received £850, which is only 70% of your £1,200.

So shop around before you commit to a debt management plan, because who you choose could determine how much your creditors actually get back. I am very anti DMP but if I had to recommend one, it would be one funded from an external source who gives 100% of your hard earned to your creditors.

You must also keep in mind that where creditors do agree to freeze interest and charges, they are at liberty to reverse that decision at anytime as Debt Management is not legally binding on the debtor or the creditor.

Tell it like it is.
Tell it like it is.

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:28 am
cybus can i ask you something i am on the dmp now been on it for 8 months why do companys put you on it in the first place as they these days like ivas

JOHNPAUL
JOHNPAUL

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:41 am
Hi
I just want to correct a couple of points that JohnPaul has made.Firstly a scratchcard win would fall under the widfall clause of your IVA and the whole amount would be paid in upto the value of your original debts,interest and IP fees[less payments made].
Also the SIVA will give you the same protection as an IVA,both are legally binding and the level of debt for a SIVA will probably be set at a maximum of 75k.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:05 pm
thanks andy for correcting me on that one on a scratchcard and the siva

JOHNPAUL