why do so many IVA's seem to fail..?

61 posts Page 3 of 5

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:30 pm
mrs skint just want to say the same as the others really, you are a brave lady,people just don't realise the other side of life and its problems never mind being in debt, i wish you and hubby all the best.
kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:27 am
This is now an old post, but I just wanted to add a footnote. I have dealt with over 1,000 IVAs in the last 10 years, and I have to say from experience that I very rarely have found clients who quite deliberately have used the system as a temporary means of escape, never intending on honouring their commitments - but there are of course some who do - and it can be difficult to root them out at the early stages. In my practice we operate any everyone deserves the same chance approach, and you are never going to get it right every time. But you are careful to ensure that information is properly verified, particularly income details, and that correct documents are provided by your clients before proceeding. This is the safety net, and from my experience usually works in 95% of cases generally.

Catullus - am I right in thinking that you have recently inherited some cases from another IP? If so, then I can sympathise as I have also been in this situation albeit on a small scale, and almost without exception had to fail over half of the cases for non-compliance or poor case briefing and ultimately management. The previous IP has now had his licence removed.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

catullus

Post by catullus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:41 pm
Hi Melanie

You're going to get me in to trouble by raising this post because I don't think that I was very popular after posting it and having read it again I think that I had had a very bad day, but I still stand by what I said.

Yes I have inherited some cases recently, and yes these are the one causing me some difficulty.But the difficulties doesn't seem to be caused by bad systems or a lack of thoroughness but by a number of people who seemed to have made no effort whatsoever to try to understand the commitments that they made when they went in to an IVA.

And my reading of this board tends to support the view that there are quite a number of these people. It's quite common to see posts from new posters who throw in little gems like

1 I've sold the house without telling the supervisor
2 I've gone and incurred additional credit and don't know what to do about it
3 I left debts out of my proposal

I wasn't really suggesting that people cynically take cover in an IVA and lie to get in to it, it was more that some people seem to take absolutely no responsibility to ensure that they understand and assume that they will be spoon fed by the IP.

On that point various people suggested that IP's pressurised clients to sign up and this was often the cause for this. Well yes, we both know that can happen but I still maintain that if you take your responsibilities seriously and read the documentation that everybody is provided with, have an enquiring mind that ensures that you understand what you are letting yourself in for and genuinely are prepared to make a sacrifice, we would rarely see such posts on this board.

Which was why I excluded many of the posters on this board because, through their natural curiosity they are prepared to spend time and effort to clarify matters and seek an alternative opinion. And what comes over loud and clear from their posts is a genuine desire to do the right thing.

It's the people that don't make the effort that I have an issue with. So perhaps it should be mandatory to read this board for a month before you sign up for an IVA. That would make Andy very happy and you would probably be the largest IVA provider in the country!!

And I'll probably get it in the kneck again for posting these views!!

tracy.h

Post by tracy.h » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:56 pm
This forum is about free speech,everybody is entitled to there own opinion,and Catullus i personaly think that you and Melanie are very honest,maybe a bit blunt at times but thats respected by us that post on here.
When it gets to the time that i need to start my iva journey again i would look no further than this forum.

Tracy

lily

Post by lily » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm
Mrs skint what a terrible time you have had??? I am the mother of 3 on the autistic spectrum and (up until very recently) have enjoyed very good health, I really do not know how you have coped, I take my hat off to you.

I am not going to be very popular for saying this but I find catullus's annoyance at the debtors for not knowing what he knows a tad unfair, we didnt do the course and we havent had your experience, have you had ours????

If you had been in debt and experienced the destruction it causes its so easy to jump into any lifeboat to escape a burning ship. I do like your honesty though.

Just my opinion, money isnt everything.

lily
lily

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:27 pm
I have to admit going down the IVA route my initial thoughts were, I can no longer consolidate debts what next? With debt consolidation it was always how do I get though the next few months/ years and my inital approach to IVAs was the same, the next lifeline. Only after lots of background reading and alot of self realisation did I truly understand the concept of the IVA, to finally rid my self of debt and to learn not to get into this situation again. I read my proposal cover to cover over and over until I was sure I understood what I was letting myself in for, I insisted on changes and ensured all corrections were made. I do believe that if you don't take the time and make the effort to truly comprehend the situation and make the lifestyle changes the IVA could be viewed as just the next short term fix.

catullus

Post by catullus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:33 pm
music to my ears louiseh!
Last edited by catullus on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:43 pm
i guess its like the teacher and the pupil...who's at fault when no learning is being done...the teacher for not teaching right or the pupil for not listening right..>??? this is why i really do beleive that its a 2 way street...it has to be a partnership for it to work...both parties have to be fully supportive and dedicated.

I am sure that there are just as many cheating people out there as there are dirt bag companies looking to take advantage.

catullus....i love honesty...and respect everyones opinion, wether it be the same as mine or not. x

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 pm
But at the end of the day the teacher still gets paid whether they're good or bad, it's the pupil who looses out if they fail to listen. So it's in the pupils interest ( IVA client) to ensure they put forward they're best effort.

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 pm
ahhh very true louise xx

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:54 pm
But at the end of the day the teacher still gets paid whether they're good or bad, it's the pupil who looses out if they fail to listen. So it's in the pupils interest ( IVA client) to ensure they put forward their best effort.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 pm
I think that there may sometimes be a tendency to see an IVA as an easy way out sometimes, especially as they are becoming more asnd more publicised.

Debbie

www.babynamings.co.uk

www.soulgrowth.co.uk
Debbie

lily

Post by lily » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 pm
me too, respect everyones opinion.

I do believe that a great many do go into it without realising they need to know, desperate people do desperate things. Why is there a need for sites like this? You ring a company (not an easy thing to do) you listen to believe. I agree everyone should go and research everything, but they dont and thats the problem. Plus the creditors lie, through their teeth about IVA's and BR so how is the person that may not be educated in financial matters do reasearch on an unknown subject? Is there any real impartial advice available?? You can get leaflets on anything from domestic abuse to male breast cancer, but real impartial correct advise on a debt problem from an impartial source is very difficult to come by.

I admit I dont know anything about anything, but I have an opinion on the suffering I see on this forum, these are real people and real lives and I feel for them all.

Impartial advice should be more readily available so people can make an informed choice without the informant being on the make.

lily
lily

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 pm
I fully support Carullus' views - he is absolutely correct, and Angela is also correct to highlight that it is of course a two-way experience and commitment.

Clients who take their own time to research the commitment they are getting into, asking questions, being inquisitive and perhaps operating a little second guessing as well, are those who are fully prepared to be committed to an arrangement from day one - and importantly will see it through. It is the role of the IP to guide them through this experience and importantly to make sure that they do understand the process.

Those who sign documents, without bothering to meet or spend time on the telephone with their IP or senior staff members are more likely to fail.

I personally will not act for any clients I do not believe have misunderstood the process or are relaxed about the commitment. This may also make me a little unpopular from time to time, but at the end of the day whose time is being wasted - mine, the clients or ultimately the creditors?

And I fully support the making of this forum a compulsory pre-IVA requisite!!! Although I do act for forum members if they instruct me, the majority of my own clients are found from other sources such as relationships I have with debt counselling companies, advice centres and firms of solicitors and accountants locally. They are all advised about iva.co.uk and encouraged to become forum members. I do not think that there is any more valuable source of current information about IVAs that this current medium, but this should be no replacement for good, accurate advice and guidance from the professional appointed to do the job.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

lily

Post by lily » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm
Well I cant argue eith that apart from to say not everyone is like you, the first company I phoned certainly wasnt and told me they knew what was best even though I did question a couple of points. I am not a stupid person but I was desperate and believed it.

Furthermore not everyone has the internet and not everyone has found this site. I still dont think there is enough impartial information judging by comes up on this forum on a daily basis, many are probably suffering in silence, lets just hope they are all like anglela and do their damn homework.

regards to all

lily
lily
61 posts Page 3 of 5
Return to “postbag for october”