Will I have to declare my partners increased income on my second review ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

jane692

Post by jane692 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:07 pm
, 2nd review is due soon , IVA is in my name only , however payment is worked out on joint income , all the debt is mine , my partner has changed to full time so his wages are much higher. He is reluctant to state new wage as he said it it isn’t fair as payments will increase , I don’t know his exact wage , do I have to find out for review ? Or can I just state the amount he gives me to help others rent/bills ? Will they need his payslips ? They didn’t last year , he gives me a set amount which shows on my bank statement, I can see his point

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:45 pm
Your IVA provider has no legal options open to them if your partner refuses to submit a statement of their earnings. They can calculate your share of the bills on a 50/50 basis if your partner refuses to pander to their requests, without detriment to your IVA.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:58 pm
Sometimes a joint income is used to calculate the payment, either if the insolvent spouse would be unable to make viable payments, or, in the case of at least one charity firm, because they work on household income. The first I can see as a way to get an IVA if it would be otherwise unworkable the second I see as a ploy to increase income by getting the solvent spouse to pay the other's debts in part.

Many firms ask for the spousal income at the start simply to calculate a fair share of household expenses. Otherwise they just work on a 50/50 basis. They do not generally ask again as, frankly, it is none of their business.

I would try the "my partner refuses" line first and see what the reaction is.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am
Your IP could assume a 50/50 split which could lead to an increase if his wages were very low at the beginning. It really depends on whether he is paying his fair share of the bills.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”