Will my IVA be refused due to betting?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Dan.m

Post by Dan.m » Mon May 04, 2020 2:30 pm
Spread Betting - Over the course of 4 months I've lost in total £130,000 in spread betting. £80,000 of this is from Loans and credit cards that I've taken out in recent months. Most have had 2 payments. As the debts are from Spread betting on stocks and shares and are all recent will this work against me? I'm speaking to a IP to put my case forward he has said that's it highly likely it will be rejected. Any advice would help.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 pm
I'm afraid it won't look good. You need to stop gambling and evidence this to a prospecive IP.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm
At the very least I would imagine that you will need to demonstrate a gambling free period and, if the IVA is accepted, refrain from gambling at all for the duration. Gambling apart, the young age of some of the debt will also be looked on unfavourably. Your IP will have their work cut out.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Dan.m

Post by Dan.m » Mon May 04, 2020 2:57 pm
I have stopped betting and closed down any betting account. I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it best they don't put the proposal in at all and go into a DMP for a while then apply?
As you can imagine i feel physically sock with worry.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:08 pm
I would do that - an IP will want to see seeral clean statements before looking at an IVA.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Radish

Post by Radish » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:14 pm
I've not been able to navigate to start a new topic and as it's concerning gambling please all me to place here. Last year I gave away my book the insanity of gambling - the cause of my problems and I've free on Kindle. I'm pleased to announce my second book the Insanity of Gambling 2 is also now FREE all weekend. I don't write for profit and want to help people address the perils of this addiction in the wrong hands (me in particular) many thanks
IVA complete March 2014 after 6 years.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”