wondering if I still had to pay off the debt

4 posts Page 1 of 1

l_w27

Post by l_w27 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:49 pm
I recieved a letter last month from a debt collectors on behalf of Natwest. The bank account was oppened 7 years ago and was overdrawn. Since then I have moved address numerous times and forgotten all about the bank account. I was wondering if I still had to pay off the debt after such a long time as I was reading somewhere on the net that after so many years the debt was written off, any ideas?

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:52 pm
Hi there

I think it depends if they have contacted or tried to contact you within 6 years, I don't think moving severall times will exempt you from paying a debt as they may have tried to contact you many times but just not known where to find you.
I am sure that an expert will be along soon to give a difinitive answer and some advice
Best wishes
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:00 pm
Hi
I agree with Emma,if the creditor can show that they have tried contacting you within the last six years then the debt is still due
Regards
Andam Davies

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:57 am
Best thing to do when you move is to apply for the Royal Mail re-direction scheme. That way your mail is forwarded automatically to your new address for up to two years. You have to pay for it but it means that you will still receive mail from anyone you have "forgotten" about. In fact it helps remind you of people who need updating as you can see who is still using your old address.

Particularly useful when preparing an IVA - its important to include all your creditors as - I believe - if you fail to do this it CAN in some circumstances lead to the failure of the IVA.
Last edited by OPTIMIST12 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
47 months completed - 13 months to go.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for march”