Work Question

7 posts Page 1 of 1

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm
I have had a look at the forums and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, so sorry if I am not.
I work in an accounts office and we are being chased by a utility supplier for an invoice that is over 5 and a half years old. According to our records the invoice appears as paid, however we have had an accounts system change since the date of the original invoice so although the invoice shows up as being paid we cannot trace to which payment it has been matched so we cannot send the supplier a copy of the cheque number as evidence. The supplier first chased us about 13 months ago and we explained our dilemma and sent them a transaction history of their account with us that showed the invoice marked as paid. We heard nothing from them until this week when they phoned to say they will take us to court for non payment because we cannot prove we paid the invoice.
Ultimately my question is, can they chase us for an invoice that is over 5 years old?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 pm
Hi Sally, I believe a debt can be chased after 5 years.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 pm
It's six years before a debt becomes statute barred if you haven't had any contact with the creditor.

Have you tried the bank to see if they can trace things back? We had a dispute a few years ago and were able to get copies of statements going back ten years to try and sort the problem out.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 pm
Thanks for the info. we can contact the bank on Monday and see what they can do to help.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 pm
Good luck Sally, let us know what happens xx

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 pm
All the best from me too x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 am
I suggest that you advise the utility company that you have no way of checking your records as company policy is only to keep records for a certain period of time. Unless the bill is subtantial, it probably ought to be written off due to the passage of time. How ridiculous that they have only just started chasing for it now.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “self employed and company/business”