Worried

19 posts Page 1 of 2

Pap

Post by Pap » Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 pm
Hi

my eldest dog (I have 3 - long story but took on my sons dog he'd got just a few months before he was killed at 18) is worrying me at the moment. He's a golden retriever and is 12 and suddenly seems to have gone downhill. He's not even barking properly, it's more of a little yap, fairly quiet and he's not moving around much, as if everything is a massive effort. He's not uncomfortable or in pain or anything but I'm really worried he's going to go to sleep and not wake up. I would be devastated because he's a massive part of the family, we love him to bits and it would be like losing another link to my son.
Things never get any better for us, I feel like giving up.

Thanks for listening

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:18 pm
I'm so sorry Pap. I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better, but I do know how hard it is to lose a pet that's a link to someone you've lost. I feel silly saying this, but before he died my dad bought me a rabbit, and when the rabbit died it was like I'd lost another part of my dad.

Hopefully your dog is just feeling a bit under the weather and he'll feel better soon.

You know where we are if you need us xxx

Pap

Post by Pap » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 pm
Thanks Skippy,
It's not silly what you said about your rabbit, I think we attache the feelings we had for the people concerned to our pets and it is like losing the person or part of them again.
I guess I just feel a bit sorry for myself and bewildered, so auch has happened in the last couple of years and basically I don't think we're particularly horrible people, it's hard to understand why.
I keep thinking I can't feel any worse, the corner to turn must be coming up and then wham! along comes something else.

Thanks for your support - I don't always whinge, honest!

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 pm
Pap, I can totally sympathise with you.

We lost one of our dogs last year at the ripe old age of about 14 (rescue dog so no idea how old she actually was) and we were devastatd. We knew it was coming, but didn't expect it to be as sudden as it was.

I suppose we have to accept that once they get to 12+ we are going to lose them - doesn't make it an easier, and in your case it will be a double blow as he is the last link to your son.

I hope he recovers.

And you rant all you like. You'll get whatever support you need.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Pap

Post by Pap » Wed May 06, 2009 10:37 pm
Thanks Jan,
we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed but he's gone downhill so quickly. Hubby got home from work earlier and the dog didn't even move, usually he'd be up to greet him.

Thanks for your support

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 pm
I really feel for you - it is an awful time when pets are sick.

I've got everything crossed.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

chardonnay

Post by chardonnay » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am
Hi Pap,
So sorry to hear your doggie is under the weather. We get so attached to them it's like having a sick child/sibling. I really hope he perks up soon and that it's not something serious.
Thinking of you and sending positive vibes to the dog.
Chardonnay x
Chardonnay

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 am
Ask your vet about vivitonin tablets,my little dog is on them and is a lot brighter and sharper than he had been for years!!!
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

debtmountain

Post by debtmountain » Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm
Sorry to hear about your poorly doggie,Pap..It's awful when you have a poorly pet,after all they are one of the family and you love and get as attached to them as much as the rest of the family..We've had our fair share of poorly pets in the past and it's horrible..I hope he recovers very soon for you all..Hope you're feeling ok too..take care..xx
IVA accepted 13/11/2008..17 payments down,55 to go..

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:08 pm
How is the dog today Pap?
Bob Marley.

Pap

Post by Pap » Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 pm
Thanks everyone for your messages,
He's much the same today, just very lethargic but doesn't seem distressed or in pain at all. He's asleep most of the time so we'll keep an eye out and if there's no improvement we'll get him to the vet.
Still, at least he hasn't got any worse.

Thank you all

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 pm
I hope he does improve Pap, I can understand how awful you must be feeling at the moment xxx

Pap

Post by Pap » Thu May 07, 2009 6:46 pm
Thanks Skippy,
we're keeping our fingers crossed.

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:02 pm
Thinking of you Pap
Bob Marley.

tori

Post by tori » Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 pm
I'm so sorry that your dog is poorly Pap...it really is heartbreaking to see a beloved pet unwell and not their usual self, as you just feel so helpless. I do hope that he gets better soon though. Thinking of you all...take care xxx
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “pets corner”