Worst Month

17 posts Page 1 of 2

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 am
Has anyone on the Forum had that really bad struggling month in there IVA's.
I had one last month what with 2 Birthdays, Car Tax etc

Everything was going fine and then it's the last 2 weeks living like Robert Stroud (The Birdman of Alcatraz)with hardly a Penny.
We was OK stocked up for food but we couldn't do anything and it felt like i was doing a Prison Sentence for those 2 weeks.
What made it worse was watching a Programme about a man Incarcerated in a SuperMax Prison in America in Solitary Confinement for 23 Hours A DAY FOR LIFE!!!
and watching Steve McQueen in PAPILLON where he does a long stretch in a Small Cell with Lack of Food and Light.
Thats how i felt having no money for those 2 weeks and BOY did it DRAG!!!.
The only consolation was i did not spend anymore money and ended up with £11 still left in my account on payday.

Boy am i glad that month was over with!!!

8 Down 52 to go before Release.

How long has Ronnie Biggs been Inside!!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:34 am
A lot longer than your iva has been running Andrew!!!!!!!

I think we all have months like that. Mine are coming up as from September when I have loads of birthdays and Christmas.

Doesn't bother me not being able to do anything as we rarely go out anyway. It'll just be more postings (sad I know!) and watching the tv with an occasional change of scenery with work!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:12 pm
As Kallis said we all have tough months, I find June 2 birthdays, September 3 birthdays even worse this year as it is my husbands 80th and granddaughters 18th. All you can do is try not to spend. Today I should be going to a wedding reception but not having money spare for petrol, drinks or anything to wear I won't be going and I can't take drinks from others even though a friend has offered to pay for me as I know I can't pay her back.

Every year I dread Christmas with 7 grand children to buy for plus other family members. Then of course there is the works Christmas do's that is just £25 for the meal, just a share of a taxi and just a round of drinks means that I don't go.

But every month I am in credit not by much I am paying off my debts and have enough money for my bills and food, so life isn't too bad really. I don't dread the phone ringing of the post coming and checking my bank balance and it being in credit gives me a thrill. Its just finding ways to cope. I now take a pleasure in not spending any money this week I had 3 days were I didn't spend any money.

I read a lot more since my IVA, books from the library of course and enjoy the small treats.

So well done Andrew in getting through a tough month may the next few months be easier for you.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

stressed_suzanne

Post by stressed_suzanne » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm
Funnily enough I've just blogged about this! This month I have 4 kids - including 3 teenage boys - to kit out for school; internet security expires; my car insurance; home insurance; have cancelled the dentist. And I completely forgot about birthdays! One nephew is 18 and I feel mean as I spent £35 on a neice's 18th in May, but I just can't afford it this time. And it's going to be so obvious I haven't spent anywhere near the same. Then another 3 birthdays besides!

Baptism of fire I think! Mind you I've not actually been approved yet, but we are trying to live within the limits as if we were to make the transistion a bit easier hopefully.
Suzanne

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 pm
i know it's nice to be in credit with the Bank and Not Get Anymore Letters from Creditors through the Post, But an IVA is Tough whether you like it or Not.
It always seems that the first 2.5 weeks are OK and from then on in it is Tough Budgeting and it's very hard when you have children going Can I have this and Can I have That!!! and you have to say NO!!!.
It's not that i want to go out and spend loads of Money But it's the fact that you have No Credit Whatsoever to Fall Back On thus Forcing Us IVA'ers into being ultra sensible with our monthly Budget's.
I would sooner have food on the Table and Gas and Electricity than a Take Away/New Clothes/CD's /DVD's etc.
I have done 8 months so far and was well Relieved when i got Accepted for an IVA but as i say on some of my Previous Posts Some Months are Very Comfortable and Others Tough Going.

cat 1

Post by cat 1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:14 pm
I agree some months are very hard.August has been dreadful.We just got back from a 4 night caravan holiday, lots of extra petrol included.Son's birthday, school hols in general, school uniforms and shoes, vets bill....I was very relieved to get paid again I can tell you.Now have to hav equally tight couple of months as lecky bill shot up and xmas will be hear soon enough.Love and hate my IVA.More love it.It saved me and although I moan and am very good at moaning this time last year was truley horrible.Can't believe I have now made 10 payments and have not even borrowed £10 off anywhere!Bliss .Cat

tori

Post by tori » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:37 pm
mmm,september is our worst month,with 4 birthdays and road tax due on one of car's... (crikey,that sounds really mean doesn't it,as if people can help what date they were born on!!) but it can make things tight when you've lots of birthday prezzies to buy and celebration's to go to.but,i still say that penny pinching for an odd month is far better than lying awake at night worrying about thousands of pounds of debt!! [:)] x
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:46 pm
We are managing, but that is because we don't do anything. I get a lot of stuff from Ebay when I can, and people know that they won't be getting a lot for Christmas and birthdays at the moment.

Next year is daughters 21st, plus (hopefully) she will be graduating with a degree, so I will be trying to save money for that.

We had a bill today which came totally out of the blue, it was not as much as I had expected it to be, but I could have done without it (and not just because of the money aspect).

As long as we are in credit, we will both be happy.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:32 pm
You Can't really live like a Monk and Not go anywhere or Have a Small Break or Treat yourself once in a Blue Moon otherwise it will just get you down.
Last month i went to see England v Czech Republic at Wembley and got the Ticket Real Cheap.Went with my Brother in Law.
Mind you England were Awful.
We sometimes go to Greenwich Park and fill the Cold Box Up , Take the Swingball,Chairs,Frisbee and Football and Relax watching the local Cricket Team.Hardly costs us anything.
We sometimes take a trip to a country pub once a month and have a couple of drinks.
I will only live now within my means, it's not woth living like a monk the whole time an IVA is not a Punishment it's a Learning Curve and anyway the next month you will get paid anyway.

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 pm
As for Christmas we started buying our presents in April and only have 2 more to go.
We already have a Super Xmas Tree and all the stuff and December is my Birthday as well.
We only have to worry about the Xmas Shopping for Food and we mainly visit Parents and In-Laws Anyway at Their Houses Anyway and they come to ours for New Years Night.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 pm
Being somewhat of an anti social bod most of the time, I can quite happily stay at home, although I do love my holidays.

Having said that, we have been out for lunch this week, courtesy of a £30 from Frankie and Bennys after I complained about their new one!

We both of us drink, but prefer to do that at home and we watch sport on tv.

I will be going to FF as well, but a break is going to have wait for some time as I won't have the money.

I am quite happy to live like this for the next few years, and the only thing that will change at the end is that I will be going on an exotic holiday somewhere.

It's each to his own I suppose Andrew. You enjoy going out, and I enjoy staying at home.
Bob Marley.

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:48 pm
Why don't you and your Husband go Swimming one Night or Join a Working Mans Club Im sure someone would nominate you and it would hardly cost you Nothing.
Bit of Cabaret, Bingo, Raffles and Dirt Cheap Drinks , You can't really lose.

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 pm
i never go out, hence my nomme de plume !!.
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:33 am
Andrew, I really don't mind not going out anywhere. Cabaret, bingo etc is my idea of hell. I have never liked anything like that. On holiday I tend to go for the smallest hotel and the quietest resort I can.

Swimming would be good if I wasn't as big as I am (my own fault, I love my food too much), and I am too conscious of my weight to bare all in the local swimming baths.

I really, really, enjoy being at home. When I retire I will probably become a recluse surrounded by my pets!!!!!!!!![:D]

OT - pity you got to that name first - it would be perfect for me as well!!!![:D][:D]
Bob Marley.

stressed_suzanne

Post by stressed_suzanne » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:37 am
LOL OT [:D]

I was telling my DH about my post earlier about how many bills we've got this month, and he reminded me I hadn't included the boys football subs - another £150 quid. Luckily they've been with the same team for years so if we pay a little late - October! - it'll probably be okay.
Suzanne
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “how are you coping?”