Yet another GT closure thread

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
58 posts Page 2 of 4

Nelly75

Post by Nelly75 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am
Hi, it's looks I'm in the same situation, waiting sense feb 12.

http://www.insolvency-practitioners.org.uk/ Making a complaint against an Insolvency Practitioner licensed by the Insolvency Practitioners Association, have taking mine to the next step enough now to many excuses and no ending.

g4vhn

Post by g4vhn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Have you started the complaint procedure yet ? Very interested to know how you go about it and how you are getting on.

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 pm
I have just read the g4vhn first post and it mirrors my complaint almost exactly. I made my last payment in Jan 2012 and relieved and naive I expected a closure soon after. After many many complaints to them I was repeatedly lied to and fobbed off.
I again rang them after a patronising and contradictory email today to be told noone was available to speak to me. This was after 11 mins on hold and diverted to a message taker. I was told I could not have a name to complain to but must write an anonymous letter to their Belfast office. However a few months ago I was actually given a name, Nadine Chambers, who apparently handles complaints but not by email or in person over the phone, just by letter!...
The insolvency practioners appaerently only deal with complaints after all else has failed direct with GT. Unfortunately the GT procedure is flimsy at best.
My only advice on this is to issue a personal writ against the named individual who signed the original IVA, not the company as a unit. The individuals are the insolvency practioners not the company!
I hope this helps.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm
You really do need to obtain a copy of their internal complaints procedure to see the steps which need to be taken if you have exhausted all other options. I would ask them to send you a copy which should detail all of the information required.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 pm
I hesitate to suggest this -- but one or two separate complaints to the Regulators will probably not arouse their interest -- but a file of many might.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm
Mel. I have searched their website(s) high and low, and no complaints procedure is mentioned there (nor details of regulators).

I might add that several complainants here have, I have been told, asked directly for complaints procedure details and been met with silence.
Last edited by Foggy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm
Melanie forgive me for disagreeing but I have studied numerous forums and posts and GT seem to be far and away the worst.
For this number of complaints and with similar complaining factors from a mere 25,000 IVA cases is nothing. When you take into account the number of people not complaining but having reason to this is just the tip of the iceberg! Take again the number that have failed to be closed in a reasonable time and the numbers seem huge. For a court administered business with structured timescales I wouldn't expect to see 1, let alone the number on this forum alone!
Most people will not venture onto a forum or complain out of abject FEAR. The humiliation of even being in an IVA is enough, but then to admit that your provider is not on your side and failing to observe the basic obligations of their legal agreement that you and they entered into in good faith is a traversty.
I am interested to see your figures and ratios a bit further. You say that you don't think this is "general of the GT database" How have you reached this conclusion and do you have any actual facts or information that would help us?
"ought to" and "should have" are phrases that you and others have used many times with regard to GT practise. Now what?
Sorry to bleat on but as a professional insolvency practioner aren't you embarassed by the behaviour of your contemporaries rather than defending them?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 pm
I am not actively defending anyone, it is neither my place nor vocation to do so, but am perhaps trying to put things into perspective a little.

I know the GT partners very well, and do know that they have inherited a number of difficulties in some of the IVA portfolios they have taken over from other IP firms. As one who has also taken over other IP's cases in the past, I know from my own experience how time consuming unravelling someone else's work can be - and you don't always spot that when you carry out your due diligence checks.

I am dismayed when I read even one complaint about alleged poor client service on this forum, however I cannot speak any more for the firm concerned - indeed it would not be my place to. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I will refrain from engaging in any postings related to complaints against IPs, but if I do that will this help or hinder the people looking for assistance and guidance.

Without a balanced view from all parties, this forum will lead to anarchy and I doubt that will help the real people who take courage to come along and post here. And will perhaps put off a lot of people who genuinely are considering the benefits of finding out more about IVAs and whether they would be suitable for them to consider.

g4vhn

Post by g4vhn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:40 am
Gt lie end of ! Whatever is or isnt happening behind the scenes, everyone is just given the same generic response when prompted. No other business would behave in the manner they do and its because it seems we are powerless to do anything about it.

I will request the complaints proceedure, but no doubt they will tell me they'll send and then do nothing as always.

They are a law to themselves.

Does anyone know complaints proceedure for complaining to an external party who governs GT ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am
g4vhn go here first to discover which regulator governs your own IP:

http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/fip1/

Then read this:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/contac ... bout-an-IP

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm
As I mentioned in my post yesterday they claim their only complaints procedure is to write to their H/O in Belfast. The customer services individual even refused to provide a name or head of department to address a letter to! That to me is not a complaints procedure although regulations outline that it is a requirement for them to have one in order to practise. I will try Karol first and then go to the insolvency practioners governing body.

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Incidentally most of the complaints I have read about,including mine, are not inherited portfolios but direct IVAs with GT. Admittedly some will have been inherited but then they should not have taken them on or at least invested in the means to deal with them without defaulting on their existing agreements!

I understand your concerns, but surely any real examples of experience with particularly poor practitioners will be a huge help to those considering an IVA. Let them know what they might be letting themselves in for. I chose GT because I believed at the time they were reputable and true to their word. Had I read forum notes similar to these about GT I would have looked elsewhere as I recommend others do now.

Also the fact that so many IVAs are running over the 66 month agreed timefame will offer individuals the realistic option of bankruptcy as a more viable option. The bad credit rating will in a number of cases be worse for IVAs than bankruptcy.

If they are dealing with 25,000 cases and each will potentially be subject to PPi investigations then the backlog will never finish and continue to increase?

I'm sure all the partners are jolly nice people but have they experienced the contempt and dismissive nature with which we are frequently treated and subjected to by their staff? To be lied to time and time again, put on hold, and refused a real person to talk to does generate a high degree of anger as evidenced by the numerous posts.....

I will be interested to hear how those of you taking the external complaint route get on.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm
You should certainly have been given the name of the appropriate person to correspond with. I suspect that you spoke to someone relatively junior who perhaps did not understand the consequences of what they were saying. Try speaking to Karol Wilson directly and I am sure she will be able to explain the process to you.

I do wonder if calls are recorded at GT - as I agree with you that the partners would probably be pretty annoyed to know that their staff are appearing to be rude to valued clients.

g4vhn

Post by g4vhn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:36 pm
Has anyone had a reply to their email to Karol lately i sent it on Monday and have heard nothing back.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm
I sent one to Karol a couple of days ago, the query was passed to the right person and has been replied to, so Karol is doing her bit :-)
58 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”