Information about household expenses

9 posts Page 1 of 1

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:56 am
Hi and thanks for all your help!
I am trying to find information online about what would be considered acceptable living expenses for an IVA, or what the official receiver would consider to be reasonable in a bankruptcy.
I have read on this forum about guidelines used in these cases. Can anyone give me advice about where I may find them?

I would be interested to see how my family is going to budget.
Many thanks
Stuffed

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:59 am
I think that Admin will be able to point you to the CCCS guidelines, but if now if you e-mail my office we will send you a copy.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:07 am
Try here, but remember they are just a guidelines,
http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7238
xx
It's nice to be back......

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 am
Oh my gosh!
It would seem that the guidelines are not really guidelines at all.
Thanks Melanie will e-mail your office, Thanks Chris will have a thorough read of that thread. Does anyone have any idea of the figures that the Official receiver works to? Are they the same or do they also differ wildly?

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am
I think it really depends on what kind of OR you happen to get, luck of the draw so to speak. I would put down what you really spend, that's what we did and our OR said it was either allowed or not and shaved certain things down.
It's worth putting everything down as we were allowed £70 per month for holiday allowance, so don't put it down just because you think you will not be allowed it. If you have to pay an IPA/IPO for 3yrs it's a long time to go without a break, especially if you have kids.
xx

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 am
I'll just add that our car is worth around £2.5/3k and we were allowed to keep it. The OR did say they normally only allowed £2000 but still excempted it. I guess they wouldn't have made much from it if they sent it to auction so it wasn't really worth them claiming it and handing me £2k back to get another. My hubby is can't drive due to medical reasons so I ferry him to and fro for work.
xx

lost

Post by lost » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:04 pm
hi is there anywhere i can get a list or look at one like for the review in an iva but one for BR the expences your allowed?

thanks

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 pm
There is no set matrix used by the Official Receiver's offices, but they do regard the CCCS guidelines and also the Common Financial Statement, and their examiners have a lot of personal discretion as to what is allowed and what is not allowed.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:18 am
Either visit CCCS or Money Advice Trust and see the guidelines that are published on their web sites - otherwise email Melanie or me and we'll send them to you - they have been updated since Andy's post of 2007!
Last edited by David Mond on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “meeting the OR”