Need Credit Car for Car Hire Help?

14 posts Page 1 of 1

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:08 pm
Hi

We have recently managed to put a few pennies aside (re birthday cash and xmas money from parents) to afford our first holiday with the Sun cheapies.

The holiday is in France and parents have treated us to cheap flights. We need a car to hire while we are there, again other parents have said will pay for it, however it has to be done in our name and the company is demanding a credit card, which of course we don't have. (they won't accept parents for authorisation).

It's a holiday we have really been lookiong forward to (as we've not had one in such a long time). But withour car hire (the campsite is in the middle of nowhere) we couldn't get around.

The lady at the booking for car hire said gwet a credit card. But under terms of IVA obviuosly we can't.

Any suggestions as I would be devastated not to go.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:14 pm
Try a prepaid card - I think that you can usually pay for a hire car with one of those.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:18 pm
Any suggestions which one? and doesn't this still go against terms?

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm
I've got a visa debit card but they won't accept this

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm
Try looking at this link which compares a few of them:

http://www.iva.co.uk/prepaid-cards-comparison.asp

Payplan have one called the JB card, and I am sure that some others will post and tell you about theirs if they have one.

It's not a credit card as you load it with money and then spend it. You can't go overdrawn so there is no problem with having one of those in an IVA.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:22 pm
sorry don't mean to be a pain, but I thinkl our postings crossed, as a prepaid card is surely the same as visa Debit and you can't go over drawn.

The lady says its needed for assurance with ref to car etc

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 pm
I am sure that some people on here have used prepaid cards to pay for such things as hotels, car hire.

The best thing to do would be to look at one or two of the cards and then see if the car hire company will accept it.

I do know that David Mond's company has a new prepaid card being launched next month I believe. If he is looking in, he could maybe post and let you know if that would be suitable.
Bob Marley.

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:50 pm
thanks. I think the issue is that it has to be credit card where they can take £2000 off if I run off with car !! But I can pay with my visa debit card linked directly to my bank account, which to me is the same.

I think in this day and age when people are being told not to use credit that a comany still operates like this. It's Europcar, I've tried to find a telephone number for them on net, but can only find email address. The car hire gets booked at discount through Eurocamp (sun offer), I was so exicited and now my bubbles burst.

IVAs aren't easy and not entered lightly and it's the first bit of sunshine (not just literally ) we've had in over 3 years.

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 pm
thanks. I think the issue is that it has to be credit card where they can take £2000 off if I run off with car !! But I can pay with my visa debit card linked directly to my bank account, which to me is the same.

I think in this day and age when people are being told not to use credit that a comany still operates like this. It's Europcar, I've tried to find a telephone number for them on net, but can only find email address. The car hire gets booked at discount through Eurocamp (sun offer), I was so exicited and now my bubbles burst.

IVAs aren't easy and not entered lightly and it's the first bit of sunshine (not just literally ) we've had in over 3 years.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:01 pm
It is so annoying when they insist on a credit card.

However, some of these prepaid cards are Mastercards so might be ok.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you have a search on the internet to see what sort of prices other hire companies are quoting and see if you could use a prepaid card with one of those.
Bob Marley.

MrsPurple

Post by MrsPurple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 pm
Thanks, tried the search the prich gors up by £50. Boo hoo

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 am
Mrs Purple - try and find a rental company that does not try to demonstrate that they need £2,000 - in any event if you run off with the car they have insurance!

Our new offering in May is a pre-paid MasterCard with a lot of other unique features - see this thread:

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TO ... =ClearCash

I hope you find one as cheap as your original quote. [:)]
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

tonyranks

Post by tonyranks » Tue May 15, 2012 8:39 pm
not ALL RENTAL COMPAINES NEED CREDIT CARD TRY ENTERPRISE

i phone them and no credit checks just 250 deposit and proof of address utilty bills
time is always the answer, stay focus and you will reach the end all in good time

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm
Just wondering why you are resurrecting such old posts when you could start a new thread of your own?
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “credit”